Sweet Potato Soup Ingredients
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper (or a generous handful of seasoned peppers), diced
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon, ground turmeric
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 Pounds sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 4 1/2 Cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 Cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 Teaspoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons rum (Optional)
- Fresh thyme
- Sour cream for garnish
01Dice the onions and pepper. In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute the olive oil, diced onions, and seasoned or bell peppers until the onions are translucent (about 8 minutes). Add garlic, seasoned turmeric, and white pepper and cook an additional 2 minutes.
02Add the sweet potato along with the salt, saute for 10 minutes. Add the stock and coconut milk, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Adjust the seasoning by adding salt and fresh ground black pepper. Add the fresh thyme and continue to cook the vegetables until everything is cooked through.
03This is when you will determine the texture of your soup. If you like a chunky soup, mash the large chunks with a fork or lightly blend. For a smooth soup, blend the soup in batches returning it to the pot or use a hand blender and puree the soup directly in the pot. If the soup is too thick, add more stock to thin it out. This is when you would add the rum if you are using it. If children are eating the soup, serve them first before adding the rum.