- 1 Tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Medium-large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 Large onion, diced
- 4 Cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 4 Teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ Teaspoon ground chipotle chile (see Note)
- ¼ Teaspoon salt
- 2½ Cups water
- 2 15-oz cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 Teaspoons lime juice½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato and onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion is beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle and salt and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Add water and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the sweet potato is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
Add beans, tomatoes and lime juice; increase heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeño peppers. Ground chipotle chile pepper can be found in the spice section of most supermarkets.
Please go here for the recipe from Eating Well magazine.