We often have a lot of pawpaw (aka “papaya”) in our yard so I’ve been doing a variety of things with it such as mixing it with hot sauce or putting it into my salads… thus this recipe for your enjoyment.
The nice thing about this salad is that it is very good for you as well as tasty. Some people say that pawpaw is better when chilled. For those of that belief, just chill the pawpaw before you serve it.
The salad can be an simple side or a full meal. To make it a simple side, just leave out the chicken… No problem!
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice
- Water to taste
- 1 Teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 Teaspoon ginger, finely grated
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon cumin seed, roasted and ground
- 1 Hot pepper, seeded and finely sliced (optional)
- 2 Roasted chicken breasts, roughly shredded
- 1/2 Cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1 Small ripe papaya, peeled, seeded, and sliced
- 1 Cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 Small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Spring onions, shredded
- 1 Handful mint leaves
- 1 Head leaf lettuce
In a small mix lime juice, water, soy sauce, sugar roasted cumin, and hot pepper. Stir until the sugar has dissolved, taste and adjust the seasonings to taste.
In a large bowl toss chicken with half the dressing. Add the cucumber, red onions, spring onions and mint and toss to combine. On a serving plate arrange s bed of lettuce, add papaya slices and top with chicken mixture. Sprinkle the chopped peanuts and drizzle with remaining dressing.